Invasion of the sock monkeys, Part 2
I’ve never had a sock monkey of my own, yet somehow sock monkeys have invaded my life. I blame my niece and nephew – and Midway Village Museum.
It’s simple really. If we hadn’t gone to Midway Village last summer:
- My niece wouldn’t have seen the big Sock Monkey Madness banner and told her mom, “We have to go!” (It’s in March.)
- My niece and nephew wouldn’t have fallen in love with every sock monkey they saw, from the cute, colorful little monkey keychain fobs in the gift shop to the world-famous human-sized Sock Monkey Nelson in the museum. (I just noticed Nelson has his own Twitter account: @tweetsbynelson, it’s not verified but looks legit.)
- I wouldn’t have decided to make my niece and nephew their own sock monkeys for their birthdays.
- My sister wouldn’t have seen those sock monkeys and asked me to make two pink sock monkeys for friends of hers going though chemo.
- I wouldn’t have done the Pink Sock Monkey Craft-along for Breast Cancer Awareness Month on this blog.
- Another family member wouldn’t have asked me to make these pink sock monkeys for her to take to a Susan G. Komen event this month in Texas.
- I wouldn’t have mentioned the new pink sock monkeys to my niece, who wouldn’t have oh-so-sweetly said, “I really need a pink sock monkey,” and I wouldn’t have replied, “Maybe we can make one together.”
The next person to ask me to make a sock monkey will be directed back to the blog and advised to make his or her own. Except for my niece and nephew. I’ll offer to help them make one sock monkey each, but they’ll have to do most of the work themselves.
This kind of thing happens to people all the time. Make something popular and everyone wants it, too. What have you made that’s invaded your life like sock monkeys have invaded mine?
Posted on February 9, 2013, in breast cancer awareness, craft-along, Family, pink sock monkey, Projects, Sock Monkeys and tagged breast cancer awareness, crafts, family, pink sock monkey, Sock Monkeys. Bookmark the permalink. 2 Comments.